My good friend Danae came to PG for a week to check out the Belize scene. It has been really neat to tour her around and show her how I have been living for the past 2 months. I have also enjoyed her reactions to everything around here because I feel as though I have already gotten accustomed to this way of life. It is funny because I have grown to take pride in being a part of this wonderful community and I was eager to show her all that this area has to offer. The other day a man was critisizing PG and was joking with me how I picked such a “dead and sleepy” town to do my internship. I instantly got my back up and defended this place which I now feel I can call home. The people here have been so kind to us and really welcomed us into their community. Being teachers it seems that the locals recognize that we are positively contributing to PG and they seem to respect that. I love riding my bike around town seeing familiar faces and stopping to talk to everyone. There is something about the slow pace of this town that I have adapted to and grown to love. We have even noticed a difference in how we go about every day activities such as like walking. Our school is probably about a five minute walk, but in the mornings now we take our time and it can take up to ten minutes. Katie and I were talking the other day how difficult it is going to be to adjust to life after Belize. We were laughing how overwhelming it will be to come home and go to a mall, I am dreading it. This is one of the many reasons this experience has been so beneficial, I am recognizing how I want to live my life and what should truly be valued. Quite often we don’t take time to stop and smell the roses and appreciate what we have around us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment