Wednesday, January 31, 2007

MUNSCH MANIA!!!


So as I have already mentioned these children absolutely LOVE being read to, but we have all discovered that they go nuts for Robert Munsch. I know that most kids love his stories but my class is hilarious when I read it to them. They have never even heard of him before, I think he's more well known in North America so I started off a couple Language Arts classes this week by reading one of his stories and they love it! They are all pretty much rolling on the floor laughing throughout the whole story and keep begging for me to read more. One of Katie's students has found a Munschworks book in the library which is a huge collection of his stories and it's a hot commodity right now. Trish, Katie and I are trying to constantly get our hands on it because it's such a great way to get the kids pumped for Language Arts. One of my goals for this practicum is to get these kids excited about reading and I feel like this has been the first step in doing so! I am starting up an at home reading program which should be a go by Monday.

3 comments:

Brad said...

Hi Melissa,

Congratualtions for getting the kids so involved in reading. Seems like you're making a good impression. I loved that author when I was a kid - didn't he write the Paper Bag Princess?

Brad

Danae said...

Melissa! Its great to hear you are setting up a reading program. I loved to read when I was little and still do. Robert Munsch was one of my fav authors. You cant go wrong with "I Have To Go!" "The Paperbag Princess" and "Love You Forever". A room without books is like a body without a soul. -Cicero

You are doing some great things there! See you on the 17th! :)

MELISSA said...

Brad,
yeah it's exciting getting these kids into the reading I am starting to see some good progress. Yeah it is the same author who wrote Paper Bag Princess, we just read that the other day actually. Glad to hear you're enjoying the blog!
Melissa.